I’m a texture person; I don’t ‘do’ mushy food. So my easy Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats Recipe is perfect for a hearty, satisfying breakfast texture.
My little brother used to call oatmeal ‘mush’ when we were kids, and I couldn’t have agreed more with him. Traditional oatmeal is just a little bit gross to me. Love it in cookies, dig it in muffins, don’t want to eat it on its own, ya know?
But Steel Cut Oats are like a whole different ball game. Slightly chewy, a little toasty tasting, and still a bit creamy while having some texture to them.
Making them in the Instant Pot means I can have hearty, warm, balanced breakfasts all week, and it’s honestly a bit of a game-changer!
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats for Easy Meal Prep
With a very busy toddler on my hands, I rarely make myself meals during the day. I call it the “My toddler has learned to climb the furniture and open doors on her own diet” and it keeps me from making quality meals for myself most of the time.
So having a batch of hearty steel cut oats waiting for me in the fridge means I can easily portion some out, zap it in the microwave, toss on my fave toppings and sit down to eat breakfast while my daughter eats hers.
These oats can keep for a week in the fridge and the batch makes about 7 portions.
Unlike a quick piece of toast or cold cereal, oats fill me up with a bunch of other benefits like controlling blood sugar levels, add fibre to my diet, and lower cholesterol levels.
MUST READ >> Foolproof Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Recipe
I love to give my steel cut oat recipe a boost with:
- Chia seeds (antioxidants, Omega-3s, iron and protein).
- Walnuts (antioxidants, Omega-3s, decrease inflammation, can help lower blood pressure)
- Dried Apricots (raisins, cranberries and other dried fruits are great too! I get the ones with no sugar added)
- Brown Sugar (because, C’mon you gotta add a little sweetness! Honey or Maple Syrup also work here)
- Coconut Milk (to give it a touch of creaminess when reheating, but water also works just fine or any other milk of choice)
Some other toppings that would be great:
- Fresh fruit
- Shredded coconut
- Almonds or other raw nuts
- Sunflower Seeds
- Hemp Hearts
What you’ll need to make steel cut oats in your Instant Pot:
- An Instant Pot or pressure cooker of choice. I use the Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1 6qt
- Steel Cut Oats. These are my favourite.
- Toppings like Dried Apricots, Brown Sugar, Walnuts and Chia Seeds.
An easy, foolproof Steel Cut Oats recipe using your Instant Pot that makes for easy meal prep for breakfasts for the entire week!
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil virgin, unrefined
- 2 cups Steel Cut Oats
- 6 cups Water
- 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 whole Dried Apricots
- 6 Raw Walnuts
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp Coconut Milk
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Did you like this recipe? Leave a comment below and Pin this image to save for later!
Some of the products and/or services mentioned in this post may have been provided for consideration and are denoted with an “*”. These products may be linked using an affiliate link, which provides me with a small commission in return for providing readers with honest and authentic reviews. The earnings from affiliate links are what keep GirlLovesGloss.com running! You can read my full disclaimer here.