HOMEMADE GREEK YOGURT SO GOOD, YOU’LL NEVER WANT STORE BOUGHT AGAIN.
This recipe is super easy, practically hands off, and basically everything y0u never knew you needed.
I use greek yogurt in loads of different recipes including overnight oats, naan bread and smoothies. My daughter Everly loves it. So I was thrilled when I realized that not only does my Instant Pot have a yogurt setting, but that its a super simple process that can be customized to your own tastes. I’m going to use the cold method here (more on that shortly) and I’m choosing skim milk which has less sugar and is fat-free.
INSTANT POT COLD METHOD GREEK YOGURT
There are two different ways to make yogurt with your Instant Pot. One involves boiling the milk and then regulating the temperature, the other is kind of a ‘set it and forget it’ kinda recipe and you know that’s what I’m all about! It’s commonly referred to as the cold method, and there are some very important factors involved in order to have your yogurt turn out.
Firstly, you need to choose an ultrafiltered or ultra-pasteurized milk. This is the most important step in the whole recipe and a make or break situation. In Canada, we can get Fairlife and Natrel, which are both lactose-free, ultrafiltered milk that comes in a variety of percentages. I’ve used both, and found no difference between them, other than the Fairlife bottle measures to exactly the amount needed for the recipe which is handy dandy!
*FUN FACT* Because the filtration process, this type of milk is higher calcium and protein and lower in sugar!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- An Instant Pot that has the Yogurt Setting like this 6Qrt or 8 Qrt
- YOGURT STARTER*: This is just a 2 tbsp of your favourite greek yogurt. It’s extremely important to choose one that states it has active bacterial cultures in the ingredients. I’ve used Oikos, Olympic, Liberte and they’ve all worked fantastic. Choose a yogurt you already like the taste of.
- Ultra-Filtered/Pasteurized Milk of choice – I chose Fairlife Skim for this recipe but have used 2% and 3% previously.
- A method to strain the yogurt in order to make it a rich, thick greek yogurt texture. You can use a strainer like this one, I have the Euro Cuisine one, or even a nut milking bag but choose something that can hold a decent capacity and can fit over a bowl to catch the excess whey!
- OPTIONAL: sweetener such as sweetened condensed milk (this can be skipped if you prefer your yogurt with no sweetness or like to sweeten per tastes.
*For all future yogurt making you can freeze the yogurt you used in ice cube trays to use as future starters, or you can freeze some of the yogurt you make to use as the starter. Two ice cubes worth of frozen yogurt starter is perfect for the next pot (bring to room temp first)
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 52oz of Ultrafiltered Milk
- 1/2 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (optional)
- Wisk yogurt and milk together in the Instant Pot liner.
- Add sweetened condensed milk if choosing to sweeten. 1/2 can will just barely sweetened while still being plenty tangy. Choose as much or as little as you like.
- Close Instant Pot lid (no need to seal because it will not be coming to pressure. Choose YOGURT setting and make sure it is on NORMAL.
- Set time between 8-9 hours. 8 for less tangy, 9 for lots of tang. I choose 8.5 for balance.
- Go to bed, and wake up with yogurt ready to chill!
- When the timer goes off, you can either transfer the Instant Pot liner directly to the fridge for regular creamy yogurt and let chill for 8 hours OR
- Transfer the yogurt into your straining device of choice and chill in the fridge while straining.
I like to set my Instant Pot before bed, and then put in the strainer in the morning and have it chill through the day. The strainer only needs about 4-5 hours to strain enough whey out to be greek style yogurt, and then you can transfer into the storage of your choice ( I use mason jars) and store up to 10 days (trust me, it won't last that long!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo Mini 3qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Rice Cooker 12 Cups Rice ...
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8 Quart | 1200W
Kleynhuis Greek Yogurt Strainer Pouch, Organic Cotton (16"X9")
Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
Bernardin Regular Mouth 500ml Mason Jars-Box of 12, 500ml, Clear
Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid for Electric Pressure Cookers with Stainless Steel Rim, 9-Inch
I promise once you make your own Greek Yogurt, it you’ll never want to go back! It’s rich, creamy and thick and sure to be a family favourite.
Some of the products and/or services mentioned in this post may have been provided for consideration and are denoted with an “*”. These products may be linked using an affiliate link, which provides me with a small commission in return for providing readers with honest and authentic reviews. The earnings from affiliate links are what keep GirlLovesGloss.com running! You can read my full disclaimer here.